Things fall apart
The air has turned cool and crisp as I watch the leaves on the larch tree outside shake tenuously in the wind, their stems clinging to the branches like fingers weak from hanging on for too long until they finally let go and sail haltingly to the ground. There is a graveyard of fallen yellow leaves on my lawn.
I made it home to Montana to find nothing has changed, nothing except me, that is. And my life. I came armed with companionship, ready to battle the solitude of country living with my partner, certain having someone by my side would ease the transition. But it's difficult when I'm so resistant to change, so resistant to returning, so resistant to the familiarity of this place. But we made it here, the first big step on a long stairway.
And we lasted almost a week before things fell apart. And now, I'm hanging from the trees like the leaves, hoping my strength will hold out, hoping we won't fall haltingly to the graveyard below.
I made it home to Montana to find nothing has changed, nothing except me, that is. And my life. I came armed with companionship, ready to battle the solitude of country living with my partner, certain having someone by my side would ease the transition. But it's difficult when I'm so resistant to change, so resistant to returning, so resistant to the familiarity of this place. But we made it here, the first big step on a long stairway.
And we lasted almost a week before things fell apart. And now, I'm hanging from the trees like the leaves, hoping my strength will hold out, hoping we won't fall haltingly to the graveyard below.
Hi Danielle - i hope things go well for you. i was just offered a job at SLP Uijeongbu, and it sounds like you had a pretty good time there, but i was wondering if you'd be willing to give me a call and let me know if it's a job worth taking, shortly - if you wanted to talk about korea in general i'd love that too. I really appreciated reading your blog - this is presumptuous, but you sound sort of like me :). i'm in colorado, give me a call? 303.332.3763
ReplyDeletethanks so much...
you are a beautiful writer.
ReplyDelete